Skip to main content

The Dirty Dozen List- What is It?

Posted: 18 Aug 2021 07:01 AM PDT

The dirty dozen list- What is it?

Do you pay attention to the EWG’s (Environmental Working Group) “Dirty Dozen List” of the twelve most pesticide-ridden foods?

The name "Dirty Dozen" takes my thoughts straight to the 1964 movie classic "The Dirty Dozen." The one where Lee Marvin plays the cantankerous leading role of a U.S. Army Major during World War Two era. However, store-purchased fruits and vegetables are the "dirty dozen" that I am referring to in today's article.


"The USDA tests show that nearly 70% of nonorganic fresh produce sold within the United States has harmful residues of chemical pesticides." It is noteworthy to mention that the "USDA washes, scrubs and peels all of the fruits and vegetables before they test them." (Release, 2021)

What are the 12 most pesticide-ridden foods known as the "dirty dozen?" 

The order of the list verifies which fruits and vegetables have the most pesticides on them. Strawberries being at the top for having the most. 


  1. Strawberries

  2. Spinach

  3. Kale, collard, and mustard greens

  4. Nectarines

  5. Apples

  6. Grapes

  7. Cherries

  8. Peaches

  9. Pears

  10. Bell and hot peppers

  11. Tomatoes

  12. Celery


EWG’s (Environmental Working Group) 2021 Clean Fifteen list (Release, 2021)


Although this list has been named the clean fifteen, this doesn't mean that there isn't any residue of pesticides found on them. It simply means that they have a fewer amount of residue.


  1. Avocados

  2. Sweet corn

  3. Pineapples

  4. Onions

  5. Papayas

  6. Frozen sweet peas

  7. Eggplants

  8. Asparagus

  9. Broccoli

  10. Cabbage

  11. Kiwis

  12. Cauliflower

  13. Mushrooms

  14. Honeydew melons

  15. Cantaloupes

How to clean your store purchased produce before consuming it

To help aid and remove those yucky pesticides and harmful bacteria, from your fruits and vegetables rinse your fresh produce in saltwater. Dissolve one teaspoon of salt for every cup of warm water and allow the water to cool before adding your produce. Let the fresh produce soak for ten minutes, then rinse under cold water. Once clean, dab your produce dry with a clean paper towel, then store it.


Another way of cleaning fresh produce is to wipe the produce while holding it under cold running water. Once clean, dab the produce dry with a clean paper towel, then store it away.


Note: Don't ever use soap to wash the produce that you are going to consume. Some soaps may contain harmful ingredients if they are swallowed.


To conclude, even after thorough washing, scrubbing, and peeling the produce, some pesticide residues can still frequently be found on traditionally grown produce. So, how can you be sure that you are not eating anything toxic? To avoid pesticides entirely, switch to organic foods.

References:

Release, P. (2021, March 17). Dirty dozen, CLEAN 15 lists released for 2021. Produce Blue Book. https://www.producebluebook.com/2021/03/17/dirty-dozen-clean-15-lists-released-for-2021/#.


Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Cooking Exceptionally With Gin Lee

Welcome! I wanted to take this time to offer my sincere words and feelings of gratitude for each of my readers and followers. Whether you follow me on my blog "Cooking Exceptionally With Gin Lee" or over at Newsbreak.com know that I sincerely am grateful! Thank you for being here and showing me your kindness and your support! It does mean the absolute world to me! Sincerely, Gin Lee

I tried Martha Stewart's slow-cooker triple chocolate brownies recipe- this is how they turned out

I tried Martha Stewart's slow-cooker triple chocolate brownies recipe- this is how they turned out There's one lady on this earth (besides mom) that I have always simply adored; Martha Stewart. Anyone who knows me knows that Martha has been my lifelong hero since I was a teenager. She's witty, beautiful, and exceptionally talented in so many various ways. Such as DIY home and land renovations to whipping up any tantalizing masterpiece in her kitchen.  Even though I have a multitude of recipes, I had never made  slow-cooker triple chocolate brownies  before. That's until I came across Martha Stewart's recipe for this delightfully delicious, gooey chocolate treat. I followed Martha's techniques and her recipe to the tee, and ooh-la-lah! Her slow-cooker triple chocolate brownies are sinfully exquisite. They are a chocolate lover's dream come true. Martha's slow-cooker brownie recipe takes 3-1/2 hours to bake. While some people may think that is too long to

Merry Christmas

  Happy Holidays Just want to take this time out to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and the very best for the upcoming holiday season! If you are one of my Newsbreak followers, allow me to take this time to give you my appreciation and endless gratitude. Each of you matter so very much to me!  I look so forward to sharing new ideas, new recipes, and gardening tips with you in the new year of 2023! Thanks goes out to each of you for being here for me! Happy Holidays! Stay safe!