Skip to main content

Mama's Mexican chicken and rice casserole

Mama's Mexican chicken and rice casserole

If you enjoy Mexican cuisine, I think that you'll love this! Because today, I am sharing my mom's recipe for her Mexican chicken and rice casserole. My beautiful and oh so amazing mom surprised me early this morning by bringing over a pan of her homemade casserole for me to serve for our dinner tonight and it looks simply mouthwatering. I know that I can't wait to taste it!

Ingredients: 

  • 3-4 cups of chicken, boiled, deboned, and chopped

  • 2 cups of rice

  • 1 large onion, diced finely

  • 2 cups of salsa (mom's is homemade)

  • 1-15-ounce can of black beans, liquid drained

  • 1 can of cream of chicken soup

  • 1 teaspoon of no-salt

  • 1 teaspoon of garlic powder

  • ½ teaspoon of chili powder

  • 1 teaspoon of cilantro

  • Shredded Mexican cheese


  • sour cream, optional

  • Tortilla chips, optional

Instructions:

First, prepare your chicken. Mom adds water to a large pan and boils it until it falls off the bone. Then she chops the cooked chicken up into bite-size pieces. (Cooking time will take about one hour.)


Using a rice cooker, cook the rice. Add two cups of white rice, two cups of water in a rice cooker; cook for about fifty minutes.


Mix your prepared chicken, rice, diced onion, salsa, black beans, no-salt, garlic powder, cilantro, and chili powder together well. Then transfer the chicken and rice mixture to a 9×13 inch casserole dish. Sprinkle it with shredded cheese.


Bake at 350 degrees F for about twenty-five minutes. The cheese should be melted nicely when the Mexican casserole is done.


Allow the casserole to sit for ten minutes before serving. Enjoy!

Note:

Mom says that you need to rinse and drain the black beans. It supposingly gets rid of the gas that's in the beans.


She also says you can also add whole kernel corn to the casserole. Just drain it first.

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Cooking Exceptionally With Gin Lee

Welcome! I wanted to take this time to offer my sincere words and feelings of gratitude for each of my readers and followers. Whether you follow me on my blog "Cooking Exceptionally With Gin Lee" or over at Newsbreak.com know that I sincerely am grateful! Thank you for being here and showing me your kindness and your support! It does mean the absolute world to me! Sincerely, Gin Lee

Merry Christmas

  Happy Holidays Just want to take this time out to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and the very best for the upcoming holiday season! If you are one of my Newsbreak followers, allow me to take this time to give you my appreciation and endless gratitude. Each of you matter so very much to me!  I look so forward to sharing new ideas, new recipes, and gardening tips with you in the new year of 2023! Thanks goes out to each of you for being here for me! Happy Holidays! Stay safe!

I tried Martha Stewart's slow-cooker triple chocolate brownies recipe- this is how they turned out

I tried Martha Stewart's slow-cooker triple chocolate brownies recipe- this is how they turned out There's one lady on this earth (besides mom) that I have always simply adored; Martha Stewart. Anyone who knows me knows that Martha has been my lifelong hero since I was a teenager. She's witty, beautiful, and exceptionally talented in so many various ways. Such as DIY home and land renovations to whipping up any tantalizing masterpiece in her kitchen.  Even though I have a multitude of recipes, I had never made  slow-cooker triple chocolate brownies  before. That's until I came across Martha Stewart's recipe for this delightfully delicious, gooey chocolate treat. I followed Martha's techniques and her recipe to the tee, and ooh-la-lah! Her slow-cooker triple chocolate brownies are sinfully exquisite. They are a chocolate lover's dream come true. Martha's slow-cooker brownie recipe takes 3-1/2 hours to bake. While some people may think that is too long to