Skip to main content

American pokeweed

American pokeweed 

American pokeweed is a perennial, and it's commonly known as a survivalist plant. The plant is often referred to as poke salad, poke sallet, pokeweed, poke, among a few others.

During the first days of spring, purplish shoots of pokeweed emerge from the soil. The plant will often pop up as a volunteer, and depending on the location, pokeweed can grow anywhere from 6 feet to 20 feet tall.



The stalks and stems of pokeweed are an attractive purplish plum color.

The leaves are a beautiful green color, and they can grow as big as 14 inches long by 7 to 8 inches wide. The plant's leaves will be tapered at each end.

By summer, pokeweed begins producing long clusters of green and white flowers. The flowers turn into green berries that then transition from a light pink to a dark plum color.

Pokeweed grows flowers and berries often at the same time and will continue to grow until the first frost.

I have never pulled a pokeweed plant up from its roots, but I have read somewhere that it resembles horseradish.

Although pokeweed looks like a magnificent tropical plant, it also grows in colder climates, such as Canada.

Consuming pokeweed:

Pokeweed is poisonous from the roots up. In fact, the roots are the most toxic part of the plant. (Common Pokeweed, USDA)


However, there are numerous people who still can't resist eating the leaves from these plants, and I will admit that I grew up in a family that ate "poke salad" as far back as I can remember. None of us ever became ill after eating it.

Cooking pokeweed:

The leaves of the pokeweed plant should be picked in early spring before the plant begins to flower and put on berries.


The leaves need to be boiled in freshwater, then rinsed, drained, and boiled again at least three times to cleanse the toxins out of them. Never eat any part of the plant raw.


Improper handling of pokeweed leaves, stems, flowers, berries, and roots can cause serious side effects. As well as improperly cooking the pokeweed leaves.

Some symptoms that may occur after improperly handling and cooking pokeweed:

  • Diarrhea

  • Difficulty breathing

  • Low blood pressure

  • Migraine headache

  • Muscle cramps

  • Nausea and vomiting

  • Rapid pulse

  • Stomach ache

  • Sudden weakness

The benefits of eating pokeweed:

If you can get over the list of reasons why you probably shouldn't eat pokeweed, here are some of the good health benefits that pokeweed offers.


Pokeweed is high in vitamin A and also has significant amounts of vitamin C, vitamin K, iron, and calcium. The plant also contains a good amount of protein and carbohydrates.

Note:

This article was written for educational purposes only.


I recommend that you consult with a qualified healthcare practitioner before using herbal products and any type of wild edible, especially if you are pregnant, nursing, or taking any type of prescription medication.

Resources:

Taylor, D. (no date) U.S. Forest Service, Forest Service Shield. Available at: https://www.fs.usda.gov/wildflowers/plant-of-the-week/phytolacca_americana.shtml#:~:text=The%20entire%20plant%20is%20poisonous,of%20protein%2C%20fat%20and%20carbohydrate. (Accessed: 29 August 2023).


Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Cooking Exceptionally With Gin Lee

Welcome! I wanted to take this time to offer my sincere words and feelings of gratitude for each of my readers and followers. Whether you follow me on my blog "Cooking Exceptionally With Gin Lee" or over at Newsbreak.com know that I sincerely am grateful! Thank you for being here and showing me your kindness and your support! It does mean the absolute world to me! Sincerely, Gin Lee

I tried Martha Stewart's slow-cooker triple chocolate brownies recipe- this is how they turned out

I tried Martha Stewart's slow-cooker triple chocolate brownies recipe- this is how they turned out There's one lady on this earth (besides mom) that I have always simply adored; Martha Stewart. Anyone who knows me knows that Martha has been my lifelong hero since I was a teenager. She's witty, beautiful, and exceptionally talented in so many various ways. Such as DIY home and land renovations to whipping up any tantalizing masterpiece in her kitchen.  Even though I have a multitude of recipes, I had never made  slow-cooker triple chocolate brownies  before. That's until I came across Martha Stewart's recipe for this delightfully delicious, gooey chocolate treat. I followed Martha's techniques and her recipe to the tee, and ooh-la-lah! Her slow-cooker triple chocolate brownies are sinfully exquisite. They are a chocolate lover's dream come true. Martha's slow-cooker brownie recipe takes 3-1/2 hours to bake. While some people may think that is too long to

Merry Christmas

  Happy Holidays Just want to take this time out to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and the very best for the upcoming holiday season! If you are one of my Newsbreak followers, allow me to take this time to give you my appreciation and endless gratitude. Each of you matter so very much to me!  I look so forward to sharing new ideas, new recipes, and gardening tips with you in the new year of 2023! Thanks goes out to each of you for being here for me! Happy Holidays! Stay safe!