Skip to main content

Food Preserving Off-Grid Method

Food Preserving Off-Grid Method

Although I own different types of electric dehydrators, at the present time I am using a huge 8-tier hanging mesh air dehydrator to dehydrate over 10 heads of cabbage and 8 pounds of jalapeno peppers.


Several weeks ago, I started out using my electric dehydrators, but it was taking me forever to dry the cabbage that way. Plus, it was also heating the inside of my house during triple-digit temperatures, and the electric dehydrators were using a ton of excess energy.


The mesh dehydrator doesn't heat up my home, nor does it use electricity. In fact, it takes up no indoor space at all. That's because it's hung up outdoors in a shaded location where it receives an ample amount of fresh air, and it's also underneath a roof. So should there be a downpour, the food will still be safe.


Considering humidity and the hours of sunlight that your location receives during the day is important when it comes to preserving food using hanging mesh air dehydrators, drying racks, and drying screens. But I have found that some foods lose their flavor if they're out directly under the scorching sun. So I prefer to use the wind to my advantage. (Air dehydrating food underneath a breezeway is perfect.)


Air-dehydrating food in shaded areas can be an efficient, cost-effective, and health-friendly choice. Plus, if it's windy, your food will dry a lot faster because wind plays a crucial role in food dehydration.


How do you air-dry food in the winter without having to use electricity?


Using any off-grid method to dehydrate food is fairly simple, regardless of what season it is. Below are five different but effective ways to dehydrate food without using electricity.

  1. Hanging a mesh air dehydrator indoors and using a USB portable generator with a small USB fan on and facing it.

  2. Using the back dash of your car on baking trays.

  3. Dehydrating screens placed near a heat source inside your home.

  4. Using an outdoor solar dehydrator.

  5. Using an enclosed porch and placing vegetables and fruit on trays in window frames.


Reasons to consider air-dehydrating food

  1. It requires zero electricity. So, it helps conserve energy, and conserving energy is cheaper for your wallet. So that's cost-efficient.

  2. It's healthy for you. Plus, it's simple to do.

  3. There's no refrigeration involved in storing your food. So again, there's no electricity required.

  4. Once your food is finished dehydrating, it will require less space in your home to store it.

  5. Food storage is a crucial part of emergency preparedness, and in a bad scenario such as an ice storm, power outages, wartime, etc., dehydrated food is safe to eat without having to do much, if anything, to it.

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Cooking Exceptionally With Gin Lee

Welcome! I wanted to take this time to offer my sincere words and feelings of gratitude for each of my readers and followers. Whether you follow me on my blog "Cooking Exceptionally With Gin Lee" or over at Newsbreak.com know that I sincerely am grateful! Thank you for being here and showing me your kindness and your support! It does mean the absolute world to me! Sincerely, Gin Lee

I tried Martha Stewart's slow-cooker triple chocolate brownies recipe- this is how they turned out

I tried Martha Stewart's slow-cooker triple chocolate brownies recipe- this is how they turned out There's one lady on this earth (besides mom) that I have always simply adored; Martha Stewart. Anyone who knows me knows that Martha has been my lifelong hero since I was a teenager. She's witty, beautiful, and exceptionally talented in so many various ways. Such as DIY home and land renovations to whipping up any tantalizing masterpiece in her kitchen.  Even though I have a multitude of recipes, I had never made  slow-cooker triple chocolate brownies  before. That's until I came across Martha Stewart's recipe for this delightfully delicious, gooey chocolate treat. I followed Martha's techniques and her recipe to the tee, and ooh-la-lah! Her slow-cooker triple chocolate brownies are sinfully exquisite. They are a chocolate lover's dream come true. Martha's slow-cooker brownie recipe takes 3-1/2 hours to bake. While some people may think that is too long to

Merry Christmas

  Happy Holidays Just want to take this time out to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and the very best for the upcoming holiday season! If you are one of my Newsbreak followers, allow me to take this time to give you my appreciation and endless gratitude. Each of you matter so very much to me!  I look so forward to sharing new ideas, new recipes, and gardening tips with you in the new year of 2023! Thanks goes out to each of you for being here for me! Happy Holidays! Stay safe!