Skip to main content

25 Vegetables That Can Be Grown in the Winter

25 Vegetables That Can Be Grown in the Winter

Winter is approaching rapidly, and you've worked hard to harvest your summer and fall crops. So, now what? Well, winter may be just around the corner, but you can still plant hardy varieties of winter vegetables in your garden, cold frames, grow tunnels, and greenhouses. Below, I have listed 25 vegetables that can withstand a hard frost that you can grow successfully this winter with some tender love and care.

  1. Asparagus

  2. Artichokes

  3. Arugula

  4. Beets

  5. Brussel Sprouts

  6. Broccoli

  7. Cabbage

  8. Carrots

  9. Cauliflower

  10. Chives

  11. Collards

  12. Green onions

  13. English peas

  14. Fava beans

  15. Kale

  16. Leaf lettuce (plant in grow tunnels)

  17. Leeks

  18. Mustard greens

  19. Perennial onions

  20. Parsnips

  21. Radishes

  22. Rhubarb (Remember that rhubarb leaves are highly toxic; the stalks are what's edible.)

  23. Rutabaga

  24. Spinach

  25. Swiss Chard

  26. Turnip greens and turnips

 

Generally, when gardening outdoors, I like sticking with perennial greens and various other perennial vegetables that don't die at the end of the season. Some may go dormant, but they will continue to come back every year.

 

I also enjoy planting self-seeding vegetables, fruits, and herbs. Self-seeding plants not only saves money but also time when gardening. Examples of a few self-seeding vegetables are arugula, chard, collards, kale, lettuce, mustards, spinach, radishes, and turnip greens.

 

If you want your vegetables, fruits, and herbs to self-seed, just leave some of them in the ground and allow them to flower and drop their seeds. Then new volunteer plants will emerge on their own (these volunteers will be true to the parent plant).

 

Note: I reside in USDA Hardiness Zone 8a. Generally, the winter months are fairly milder in comparison to planting in zones 1 through 6. However, this weekend I made grow tunnels and covered my okra, tomatoes, and greens because this coming Tuesday and Wednesday we are supposed to have a hard freeze (wicked crazy weather for Halloween).

 


Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Cooking Exceptionally With Gin Lee

Welcome! I wanted to take this time to offer my sincere words and feelings of gratitude for each of my readers and followers. Whether you follow me on my blog "Cooking Exceptionally With Gin Lee" or over at Newsbreak.com know that I sincerely am grateful! Thank you for being here and showing me your kindness and your support! It does mean the absolute world to me! Sincerely, Gin Lee

I tried Martha Stewart's slow-cooker triple chocolate brownies recipe- this is how they turned out

I tried Martha Stewart's slow-cooker triple chocolate brownies recipe- this is how they turned out There's one lady on this earth (besides mom) that I have always simply adored; Martha Stewart. Anyone who knows me knows that Martha has been my lifelong hero since I was a teenager. She's witty, beautiful, and exceptionally talented in so many various ways. Such as DIY home and land renovations to whipping up any tantalizing masterpiece in her kitchen.  Even though I have a multitude of recipes, I had never made  slow-cooker triple chocolate brownies  before. That's until I came across Martha Stewart's recipe for this delightfully delicious, gooey chocolate treat. I followed Martha's techniques and her recipe to the tee, and ooh-la-lah! Her slow-cooker triple chocolate brownies are sinfully exquisite. They are a chocolate lover's dream come true. Martha's slow-cooker brownie recipe takes 3-1/2 hours to bake. While some people may think that is too long to

Merry Christmas

  Happy Holidays Just want to take this time out to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and the very best for the upcoming holiday season! If you are one of my Newsbreak followers, allow me to take this time to give you my appreciation and endless gratitude. Each of you matter so very much to me!  I look so forward to sharing new ideas, new recipes, and gardening tips with you in the new year of 2023! Thanks goes out to each of you for being here for me! Happy Holidays! Stay safe!