Skip to main content

Make Your Own Dry Cake Mixes at Home!

Photo made with Canva Studios

Photo made with Canva Studios

Make Your Own Dry Cake Mixes at Home!

If you've ever been curious about making your own dry cake mixes to keep in your pantry, you're in luck! Today, I'm going to show you how I make my basic dry cake mixes, how to store them, and the list of ingredients you'll need to bake them.

Ingredients to make one basic cake mix:

  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

  • 1 1/2 cups granulated Splenda, or sugar

  • 1 tablespoon baking powder

  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

Note: If you'd like to shorten the list of ingredients, you can use 2 1/2 cups of self-rising flour or 2 1/2 cups of Original Bisquick baking mix as a substitute. Omit the baking powder and salt.


To prepare more than one cake mix, just follow my list above and create as many batches as you desire.


To make a chocolate cake mix, just add a 1/4 cup of cocoa powder to your basic cake mix. Adjust the amount of cocoa powder to suit your chocolate preference.


To make a strawberry cake mix, add a 3-ounce package of dry strawberry Jello to your basic cake mix. You can also use Jello's Strawberry and Cream dry pudding mix, as well.

Instructions to make and store the dry cake mix:

In a large bowl, combine the flour, granulated Splenda, or sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix well.


Transfer the mixture to an airtight container and store in a cool, dry place for up to 3 months.

Ingredients and instructions to use the cake mix:

  • 1/2 cup vegetable shortening

  • 1 cup of milk

  • 2 eggs

  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract (optional)

  • Optional: chocolate chips, peanut butter morsels, sprinkles, or nuts

Note: If you want to make a white cake, use 4 egg whites and leave the yolks out.

When making a strawberry cake, use 4 large eggs.


When you're ready to bake a basic cake, cut in the vegetable shortening using a pastry cutter or a fork until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.


Add 1 cup of milk and 2 eggs to the dry mix. Stir in any optional ingredients you desire.


Pour the batter into a greased cake pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Baking the cake in a microwave-safe pan

You can also bake your cake in a microwave-safe cake pan. Just fill your cake pan about a half of an inch deep. Then bake the cake in the microwave for about 6 to 8 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.


Let the cake cool before slicing and serving. Enjoy your homemade cake made from your own dry cake mix!


Popular posts from this blog

Why I Don't Preheat My Oven Before Cooking"

"Why I Don't Preheat My Oven Before Cooking" In this article, I aim to shed light on my unconventional approach to cooking by explaining the reasons behind why I choose not to preheat my oven. While this may seem like a peculiar practice to some, I assure you that there are valid reasons behind it that I will explore in the following sections. Safety Considerations: Addressing concerns about food safety and doneness Ensuring proper internal temperature: Using a food thermometer One of the common concerns when it comes to skipping preheating is whether the food will cook evenly and reach a safe internal temperature. However, I have found that using a food thermometer effectively eliminates this concern. By inserting a thermometer in the thickest part of the dish, I can ensure that it reaches the recommended temperature for doneness. This method not only guarantees food safety but also prevents overcooking. Adhering to recommended cooking times for specific foods Another mi

Welcome to Cooking Exceptionally With Gin Lee

Welcome! I wanted to take this time to offer my sincere words and feelings of gratitude for each of my readers and followers. Whether you follow me on my blog "Cooking Exceptionally With Gin Lee" or over at Newsbreak.com know that I sincerely am grateful! Thank you for being here and showing me your kindness and your support! It does mean the absolute world to me! Sincerely, Gin Lee

American pokeweed

American pokeweed  American pokeweed is a perennial, and it's commonly known as a survivalist plant. The plant is often referred to as poke salad, poke sallet, pokeweed, poke, among a few others. During the first days of spring, purplish shoots of pokeweed emerge from the soil. The plant will often pop up as a volunteer, and depending on the location, pokeweed can grow anywhere from 6 feet to 20 feet tall. The stalks and stems of pokeweed are an attractive purplish plum color. The leaves are a beautiful green color, and they can grow as big as 14 inches long by 7 to 8 inches wide. The plant's leaves will be tapered at each end. By summer, pokeweed begins producing long clusters of green and white flowers. The flowers turn into green berries that then transition from a light pink to a dark plum color. Pokeweed grows flowers and berries often at the same time and will continue to grow until the first frost. I have never pulled a pokeweed plant up from its roots, but I