Skip to main content

Homemade Cream Cheese

Homemade Cream Cheese

Today, I am preparing homemade cream cheese using powdered milk. You can make the cream cheese using regular whole-fat milk if you prefer. The recipe will work using either. So, if you're using whole-fat milk, you'll need to use 3 cups. Since I have powdered milk on hand, that's what I decided to use.

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups of powdered milk

  • 3 cups of water

  • 5 tablespoons of fresh squeezed lemon juice (1 lemon will produce 2-3 tablespoons of fresh squeezed juice)

  • 1/2 teaspoons of seasoning salt


Instructions:

In a pitcher or bowl, add 2 cups of powdered milk. Pour in 3 cups of water. Stir well.


In a heavy saucepan, add the milk over medium-high heat. Stir continuously until it begins to boil. Then reduce the heat to a simmer over medium heat.


Now, add 1 tablespoon of the freshly squeezed lemon juice. Stir and wait a minute before adding in the second tablespoon of juice, then add the third tablespoon of juice, wait a minute, then add the fourth tablespoon of juice, wait another minute, then add the fifth (follow the same method as stated above for each tablespoon added). Stir continuously and continue cooking.


You'll need to stir the mixture continuously until it separates. (A yellow liquid will gather on the bottom, and curdles will form on the top of the liquid.) It will take anywhere from 3 to 6 minutes to reach this point, and when it does, you'll need to remove your pan from the rangetop.


In a bowl, pour the curds into an extra-fine mesh strainer. Let the whey drain out of the curds. Allow it to cool for about 15-20 minutes. Using the extra-fine mesh strainer and spatula, squeeze the excess whey liquid out of the curds. (You can also use cheesecloth, a clean stocking, or a coffee filter to strain your curds through.)


Transfer the curds to a blender and process until the curds become extra smooth and creamy. I generally blend mine for about 5 minutes. At this point, you can add heavy cream if you'd prefer. (I added heavy cream to mine.)


Add the seasoning salt. You can use any other type of salt that you have on hand. (I prefer using seasoning salt because of the added spices in it.)


Store your cream cheese in an airtight container and place it either in the refrigerator or freezer.

Note:

If you don't have any fresh lemons to squeeze the juice from, you can use freshly squeezed lime juice or white vinegar.


Using white vinegar will make your cream cheese a bit more sour than when using freshly squeezed lemon and lime juice.


Save the whey to use in other recipes, or once it has completely cooled, use it as plant food.

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Fresca Soda

Make Your Own Fresca Soda at Home! Hey there! If you're like me and love Diet Fresca but can't find it in stores anymore, don't worry! I've got a recipe for a homemade version that tastes almost like the real thing. Let's get started! Ingredients: 1 Ruby Red grapefruit, seeded and juiced. Save the peels for steeping 1 lime, seeded and juiced 1 lemon, seeded and juiced 2 teaspoons of Splenda, or your preferred sweetener 1 bottle of sparkling water Instructions: First, chill your sparkling water in the fridge. Peel the outer skin of the grapefruit, lime, and lemon using a vegetable peeler. Make sure to only use the colored part, not the white part. Steep the citrus peels in hot boiling water to extract the oils. Let it cool and strain out the peels. Squeeze the juice from the grapefruit, lime, and lemon using a juicer. Remove any seeds and strain the juice if needed. Combine the fresh squeezed juice with Splenda in a tumbler. Adjust the sweetness to your l...

Vegetables that contain protein

Vegetables that contain protein If food prices have you scrambling down the aisles of the grocery store trying to find something that's more affordable than meat but still has protein, know that you're not alone! Back in the days when my grandparents went through the Great Depression, it was really tough times, but they survived through the hardships by growing their own food. There are a lot of veggies that actually do contain protein, and they're packed full of additional nutrients that our bodies all need. Vegetables highest in protein: Vegetables high in protein include artichokes, asparagus, beans, bean sprouts, and beans in general: broccoli, Brussel sprouts, chickpeas, green peas, kale, mushrooms, mustard greens, spinach, sweet corn, and turnip greens. For a few examples: Black beans contain 15 grams of protein in just a 1-cup serving. In fact, a 1/2 cup of cooked beans provides close to 7 grams of protein, which is the same as eating one ounce of meat. As for collar...

Cook With Gin Lee

What's the difference between griddle cakes, pancakes, hot cakes, skillet cakes, and flapjacks? Have you ever pondered the question, what's the difference between griddle cakes, pancakes, hot cakes, skillet cakes, and flapjacks? Well, today, I would like to tell you the answer to that specific question. Which is that all five of these food items are exactly one and the same.  Homemade country pancakes I have decided to write two separate articles on the subject of how I make homemade pancakes from scratch. The first one was just to take you through the steps of how I make the pancake and waffle mix from scratch. Inside this article, I will be going more into depth on how I use that particular mix to make pancakes. In the other article, I also covered how to make homemade waffles from this same mix. The dry mix is the same for both, but needs to be prepared a little differently when adding the last few ingredients to make the waffle batter. (Hopefully splitting the t...

Merry Christmas

  Happy Holidays Just want to take this time out to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and the very best for the upcoming holiday season! If you are one of my Newsbreak followers, allow me to take this time to give you my appreciation and endless gratitude. Each of you matter so very much to me!  I look so forward to sharing new ideas, new recipes, and gardening tips with you in the new year of 2023! Thanks goes out to each of you for being here for me! Happy Holidays! Stay safe!

Why I Don't Preheat My Oven Before Cooking"

"Why I Don't Preheat My Oven Before Cooking" In this article, I aim to shed light on my unconventional approach to cooking by explaining the reasons behind why I choose not to preheat my oven. While this may seem like a peculiar practice to some, I assure you that there are valid reasons behind it that I will explore in the following sections. Safety Considerations: Addressing concerns about food safety and doneness Ensuring proper internal temperature: Using a food thermometer One of the common concerns when it comes to skipping preheating is whether the food will cook evenly and reach a safe internal temperature. However, I have found that using a food thermometer effectively eliminates this concern. By inserting a thermometer in the thickest part of the dish, I can ensure that it reaches the recommended temperature for doneness. This method not only guarantees food safety but also prevents overcooking. Adhering to recommended cooking times for specific foods Another mi...

Growing Vegetable Plants in Rockwool Cubes

Growing Vegetable Plants in Rockwool Cubes Hey there, fellow gardeners! Today we're going to talk about a cool way to grow your own vegetables using rockwool cubes. It may sound fancy, but it's actually pretty simple and fun. Let's dive in! What You'll Need: First things first, you'll need some rockwool cubes . These are like little sponges that help your plants grow strong and healthy. You'll also need some vegetable seeds, a tray to hold the cubes, and water. I personally use these hydroponic grow trays with dome lids. Step 1: Soak the Cubes Before you plant your seeds, you'll need to soak the rockwool cubes in water. This helps them absorb moisture and provides a good environment for your plants to grow. Step 2: Plant Your Seeds Once your cubes are nice and soaked, it's time to plant your seeds. Make a little hole in the top of each cube and drop a couple of seeds in. Some seeds are so tiny and I generally end up planting more than two in each cube. ...

Delicious Honey Divinity With Chopped Pecans

Delicious Honey Divinity With Chopped Pecans The holidays just wouldn't be the same at my house without a batch of homemade divinity. This sweet treat is decadent, light as air, and absolutely delicious! If you encounter challenges while preparing my divinity recipe, please refer to the end notes for troubleshooting tips. The technique I am sharing is effective for all divinity recipes that do not yield the desired results. Ingredients: • 2 cups of granulated Splenda or granulated white sugar • 5 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon (1/3 cup) of premium honey • 5 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon (1/3 cup) of water • 2 egg whites, beaten to soft peaks • 1 1/2 cups of chopped pecans, chopped Maraschino cherries, or chocolate chips Instructions: Here's a fun and easy recipe for making delicious divinity candy! First, grab a heavy-bottomed pan and mix together granulated Splenda or sugar, honey, and water. Boil the mixture until it reaches a hard ball stage. To test if it's ready, drop a small...

I tried Martha Stewart's slow-cooker triple chocolate brownies recipe- this is how they turned out

I tried Martha Stewart's slow-cooker triple chocolate brownies recipe- this is how they turned out There's one lady on this earth (besides mom) that I have always simply adored; Martha Stewart. Anyone who knows me knows that Martha has been my lifelong hero since I was a teenager. She's witty, beautiful, and exceptionally talented in so many various ways. Such as DIY home and land renovations to whipping up any tantalizing masterpiece in her kitchen.  Even though I have a multitude of recipes, I had never made  slow-cooker triple chocolate brownies  before. That's until I came across Martha Stewart's recipe for this delightfully delicious, gooey chocolate treat. I followed Martha's techniques and her recipe to the tee, and ooh-la-lah! Her slow-cooker triple chocolate brownies are sinfully exquisite. They are a chocolate lover's dream come true. Martha's slow-cooker brownie recipe takes 3-1/2 hours to bake. While some people may think that is too long to ...

Medley of Favorite Recipes

Piquette   Living life with zero waste and sustainability has become a new normal for a lot of people. For example, I try to upcycle as much as possible. Recently, I made concord grape jam, jelly, and concord grape juice from the grapes that I harvested. Today I will be explaining more about how I made Piquette from upcycling all the grape leftovers.  The grape leftovers (skins, seeds, stems) are known as pomace. It's been utilized to make a diluted wine called Piquette for years. Piquette is a low-alcohol drink made by mixing grape leftovers and water then going through the fermentation process. The wine becomes a nice fizzy drink. With an alcohol content of 4 to sometimes over 10 ABV depending on how long the wine is left to ferment. I make Piquette and have gotten the alcohol content of 10 ABV and sometimes over that. Technically, Piquette is not wine, but it closely resembles it once it's a finished product. So how did I make Piquette?  I went through the ...

Low Calorie Meatloaf

Low calorie crock-pot meatloaf If you're looking for a meatloaf that doesn't require eggs, bread crumbs, ketchup, etc., then this might be the recipe for you. Today, I am creating a low calorie meatloaf without all the bells and whistles, but it still tastes amazingly good and has fewer calories. The meatloaf will be cooked inside my crock-pot on a meat rack. Doing this allows the excess grease to drip below the meatloaf as it cooks. Which in turn creates a pleasurable, greaseless meatloaf experience. Ingredients: 2 pounds of lean ground beef 1-2 bell peppers, de-seeded and diced finely (depending on size of the peppers), or 1 tablespoon of dried pepper flakes 1-2 tablespoons of onion flakes (amount depends on your preference) 1 teaspoon of garlic powder 1 teaspoon of seasoning salt 2 teaspoons of freshly ground black pepper 1 tablespoon of soul seasoning Sesame seeds and flax seeds, to sprinkle over the top of your meatloaf (optional) ½ cup of water, do pour inside your crock-...