Homemade soup and chili crackers
I must confess, I really love homemade crackers, with or without a hearty bowl of soup or chili. I honestly enjoy munching on them more than potato chips or popcorn as a mid-morning and late-night snack. Yes, I do get the munchies while watching an occasional late-night movie!
I have used several types of flour to make this cracker recipe. I will list each type that can be used in the list of ingredients below. Today I am using all-purpose flour.
Ingredients:
3 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour; you can also use wheat flour, rice flour, oat flour, almond flour, or any other type of nut flour. The texture of the crackers will be somewhat different with each.
5 to 6 tablespoons of canola oil; you can also use softened butter and other types of cooking oil.
1 cup of water plus a little extra if needed
1 teaspoon of onion powder
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon of seasoning salt
1 teaspoon of steak seasoning (optional)
Optional ingredients that can be added to the dough:
Parmesan cheese
Powdered American cheese and other types of powdered cheese
Pizza seasoning
Cayenne pepper flakes
Chili powder
Instructions:
In a bowl, add 3 1/4 cups of flour, 5 to 6 tablespoons of canola oil, 1 cup of water, 1 teaspoon of onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon of seasoning salt, and 1 teaspoon of steak seasoning together. Combine the ingredients well. I just use my clean hands to bring the dough together, and I don't knead the dough.
Once the dough has come together, allow it to rest for about 10 to 20 minutes.
Now, roll the dough out super thin on a lightly floured surface to help prevent the dough from sticking to it.
Once the dough is rolled, cut it into the shapes that you prefer. (I used a small flower-shaped cookie cutter.) If you want your crackers to stay flat-shaped, use a toothpick, ice pick, or fork tines to prick holes through your cut-out dough pieces.
Next, place the cut-out dough on a lightly floured baking tray and transfer it to a 425-degree oven. Bake the crackers for about 15 minutes.
Transfer the crackers to a cooling rack and allow them to cool. Store them in an airtight container or Ziploc bag.